Watch Power Trip: The Story of Energy on your local PBS station, Apple TV, and Prime Video.
- The 5,000-Mile Salad (1:30)
Energy makes it possible to have fruits and vegetables in season year-round.
- How Did We Pump Water Without Electricity? (2:12)
How much work does it take to pump water out of the ground if you don’t have electricity?
- The Water Wealth of Versailles (1:38)
Today, fancy cars and private airplanes are symbols of wealth, but before modern energy, displaying water was a sign of wealth.
- What is a Smart City? (2:39)
Former Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz and Monica L. Smith, author of Cities: The First 6,000 Years, explain this somewhat vague term.
- Hauling Water is Hard! (1:28)
Before modern energy, water had to be lifted by either forces of nature or feats of engineering.
- The Lamplighters of London (1:34)
Before electric street lights, gas lamps lit the way, and not just anyone could light them.